WElcome to the website
"In 1958 a concerned group of community leaders met with the sole purpose of finding a way to get young boys off the streets and into a positive environment. They desired to develop a place that would welcome all Boys and especially those whose opportunities for growth and development were most limited. A safe and caring place where each child was loved and nourished. They chose to call this place The Boys Club of Morristown, now the Boys and Girls Club of Morristown.
Now, over fifty years and 25,000 youngsters later, the Boys and Girls Club is still that special place where all children can afford to belong and where their needs and interests are met daily in a beautiful, modern 40,000 sq. foot facility."
- John Seals, Director of BGCM
VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR, DEBBIE GROSS
John Seals Executive Director
Paul E, (Bill) Seals Special Events
Gene Whaley Unit Director
Lorna Watkins Office Manager
Brenda Seals Cultural / Teen Center Director
Dee Hendershot Aquatics Director
Anna Baird Food Service
Brittany Weston Swim Team Coach
Rosemary Narvaez Teen Center / Lifeguard
Andre' Thomas Recreation / Teen Center
Logan Overbay Teen Supreme Center/Lifeguard
Adriana Ramos Membership
Daniel Gross Maintenance
James Peoples Education/HOTC
Nicole Garner Technology
Haylea Seals Membership/Recreation
Breeana Posey Locker Room
Courtney Caldwell Locker Room
James E "Eddie" Beckner
James Sidney Boyd
Nellie Foust (Secretary)
Mary Moffat Helms
Robert "Buz" Lacy
Ed Moody, Jr
Rosemary Moody Wigington
Kay Senter (Vice President)
Tom Stewart (Treasurer)
David Wild (President)
history of the Boys & Girls club
The Boys and Girls Club of Morristown, Inc. originally the Boys Club of Morristown, was chartered in 1958 and had its beginning in an old two story structure. Still later the club site was moved to another, even smaller structure. During those early years, memberships exceed 200.
In 1968, the Board of Directors launched a Building Fund Campaign, and in five short months a goal was reached, construction began and in February 1969 a new facility was dedicated. Such a total community effort had never been witness before in the City of Morristown. Membership in the new facility has averaged 1,000 to 2,000 per year.
On January 21, 1992, the Boys Club of Morristown, aligning with the National Movement and determining to provide and expand need service to included a widely under-served group of young people, changed the corporate name to the Boys and Girls Club of Morristown, Inc.
In 1992, a Cultural/Educational Expansion plan was developed and a $450,000 capital improvement program was begun. The new facility included a Computer Center, Performing Arts Center, Fine Arts Center, Health and Physical Fitness Facility, in addition new locker rooms for boys and girls.
The membership grew to 2000, with 700 girls joining.
In 2003, the Boys and Girls of Newport/ Cocke County was established under the charter of the Morristown Organization and is now serving over 500 kids in the Cocke County area. In 2004, the Boys and Girls Club of Hawkins County unit was added under the Morristown charter and currently severs over 250 kids annually.
The Boys and Girls Club of Morristown has had:
8 State Youths of the Year
4 Regional Finalists
2 National Finalists
1 National Youth of the Year
YOuth development strategy
The Youth Development Strategy has been endorsed by Boys and Girls Clubs as a basis for delinquency prevention programming.
The four elements for the Youth Development Strategy are:
- A Sense of Power or Influence: A chance to be heard, listened to, cared about and to influence decisions.